Getting ready for your hyperfast broadband installation
To get your new hyperfast speed to the devices you want to use, it’s worth thinking ahead so that you are ready to use your broadband as soon as the installation is complete. Here are 5 things you can do in advance:
- Plan how you want to connect your devices. Most people will choose to connect to the new service via Wi-Fi, as this is the easiest and most convenient option. Connecting devices directly to the Digital Home router via an ethernet cable will however give you the fastest and most consistent speed. So, you may want to look at adding wiring to your home.
- Check your cables are “gigabit capable”. You may want to update your cabling so that the speed to your devices is not being limited by the capacity of your cabling. Cat5e or Cat6 standard and above is recommended – this is often printed on the cable itself.
- Check your PC’s, tablets & laptops are “gigabit capable”. Not all devices are designed to operate at gigabit speeds. So, check your device’s Wi-Fi adaptor, network cards and processor speeds in advance. The best place to find this information is the manufacturers product manual or website.
- Check your mobile phones are “gigabit capable”. This is about setting your expectations, as only the recent models will be gigabit ready although most will still receive impressive speeds on a Digital Home connection.
- The location of your new Wi-Fi router. Where do you want it, where is it best for optimum Wi-Fi coverage? If in a different place you may need to tweak your cabling to reach it. Please contact us if you need advice on router location to ensure the best performance.